Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

 



Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments Series
Age group: Young Adult
Book: Bought, paperback
Author's info: http://mortalinstruments.com/links.php

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder — much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Clary knows she should call the police, but it's hard to explain a murder when the body disappears into thin air and the murderers are invisible to everyone but Clary.

                                                                    Review

Clarissa Fray is an ordinary girl living in New York. Her mother Joselyn who is an artist, her father died before she could meet him, her sort of geeky best friend Simon, and her mother's best friend Luke, who was like a father to her. In this book there is something for everyone, romance, suspense, mystery, and fantasy. Also there are vampires, monsters, warlocks, werewolves, faeries. By half of the book, so much had happened.  

Jace one of the teenager she saw at the club later explains that he is a Shadowhunter; a secret tribe of warriors dedicated to killing demons. That pretty much opened a can of worms in Clary's life. Her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque demon. What did she get herself into?

I loved this book! I "accidently" (but not really) read the synopsis of Book Two, so i found out some secret that hadn't yet been revealed to me. It didn't really spoil anything for me, I just didn't think that the synopsis was going to be so revealing. I was sitting at the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading this book. There was always something happening, it was so exciting. I was just thinking "I wonder what the other books are going to be like, if this one has so much going on."

I thought that Cassandra took her time creating these characters. My favorite character was Jace, he's described as a badass. I also liked his wittiness, he expresses his feelings for Clary but from a distance, he mostly just wants to protect her. 
I really liked Isabell as well, she can hold her own being the only girl among the two guys. And who can forget Simon the trusty human-ish side kick. I also can't forget Magnus Bane, his epic parties, and his glitter! He's one of the most unique characters and I loved reading about him.

I like how Cassandra explained how the world looks, I just wish it was written in Clary's point of view. It's basically just being narrated. The villain is awesome, I loved him. The twist, I did not see it coming.

Overall i give this book 5/5 stars. What's not to like about this book? Can't wait for book 2!

For future reference: Do not read the synopsises of book 2 and the others after that, it will ruin it for you if you're the kind of person that likes to find out on your own, by reading the book. 

Have a good week & enjoy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, I comment and follow back so don't forget to leave me your links :)

Review: Beasts Of The Frozen Sun by Jill Criswell

Title: Beasts Of The Frozen Sun Author: Jill Criswell Series: Frozen Sun Saga #1 Genre: YA Fantasy Publishing Date: August 6, 2...