Friday, April 12, 2013

Review: Spellbinding 1 By Maya Gold


Spellbinding



Author: Maya Gold
Book: Netgalley provided the book for review
Author Info: Goodreads Profile

It is during a routine school project that Abby Silva--sixteen and nearly friendless--makes a startling discovery: She is descended from women who were accused of witchcraft back in 1600s Salem. And when Abby visits nearby Salem, strange, inexplicable events start to unfold. Objects move when she wills them to. Candles burst into sudden flame. And an ancient spellbook somehow winds up in her possession.

Trying to harness her newfound power, Abby concocts a love potion to win over her longtime crush--and exact revenge upon his cruel, bullying girlfriend. But old magic is not to be trifled with. Soon, Abby is thrust headlong into a world of hexes, secrets, and danger. And then there's Rem Anders, the beautiful, mysterious Salem boy who seems to know more about Abby than he first lets on.

A reckoning is coming, and Abby will have to make sense of her history--and her heart--before she can face the powerful truth. (Synopsis)


                                                                      Review

I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. What got my attention was the beautiful cover. As I read the book, I noticed that there were many similarities with other books I have read and just the YA genre in general; an awkward girl with a crush on the jock and yet another love triangle. I can’t complain though cause who does not like a good love triangle! I really like this story and also enjoyed the Salem witches involvement and history. I love stories that have backgrounds and history to them; it makes it feel more real to me.

Abby was a good character to follow, I enjoyed her point of view although she lives kind of a sad life because her brother is a jock and gets all the attention from their dad, and their mom died. So she doesn’t get noticed in school, she’s kind of in the background and no one notices her and at home it’s the same. She also only has one friend, and it’s sad to me. I want to be her friend and bring some happiness in her life. I also like Rem, he’s my favorite character, not because he’s described as being gorgeous (maybe a little) but because he was so mysterious; I wanted to figure him out and find out all about him.

I give this story 4/5, I really liked it, I just wish there were more books out I would love to know more about these characters.


Happy Reading! Midnight Fantasies.

1 comment:

  1. I was told I "might also like" this post and glad I clicked over! I don't know how I missed this before. It's probably because I didn't use bloglovin' and the blogger dashboard keeps me out of the loop of a ton of great posts. Anyway! I completely forgot that I had a copy of this book and was instantly reminded of that fact once I started reading your post. I'm going to have to go find it and read it now! I loved learning about the Salem witch trials when I was in high school. I found it so fascinating and that, along with how much I love witchy novels, is what made me want to read this in the first place. It is sad that she only has one friend. I always feel so bad for people like that. Mysterious characters are my favorite. I love trying to figure people out, too! I'm glad you liked it! Hopefully the author will write more about these characters. I'll have to stop back by once I finally read this :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, I comment and follow back so don't forget to leave me your links :)

Review: Beasts Of The Frozen Sun by Jill Criswell

Title: Beasts Of The Frozen Sun Author: Jill Criswell Series: Frozen Sun Saga #1 Genre: YA Fantasy Publishing Date: August 6, 2...